No one was injured in an early-morning fire in Edmonds that caused more than $85,000 damage at a 24-hour care center for residents with Alzheimer’s Disease and other forms of memory loss on Feb. 9.
Firefighters were dispatched at 2:25 a.m. to an automatic fire alarm at Rosewood Courte Memory Care in the 700 block of Edmonds Way. The facility is home to 34 residents with memory-loss diseases, all requiring around-the-clock care.
“The building’s fire sprinkler system really made a big difference in the outcome of this fire. It kept the fire from spreading, prevented injuries and limited damage,” said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Snohomish County Fire District 1, which provides fire service in Edmonds under a city contract.
Firefighters from Fire District 1 and Shoreline Fire Department responded and found smoke in one section of the building. They evacuated residents to another section of the building that was free of smoke and arranged for a passenger bus in case further evacuation to an off-site location was necessary.
Firefighters opened a locked laundry room door in the smoky hallway and found there had been a fire in a large commercial dryer that had been in use. The fire sprinkler over the dryer had activated from the heat, applying water directly onto the appliance. The water shattered the glass dryer door and extinguished the fire.
Firefighters determined the fire had not extended to the structure, then used large fans to clear smoke from the hallways so residents could return to their rooms. “All residents remained in the facility’s care and were asleep again by 5:15 when firefighters left the scene,” Hynes said.
This is the second time in two years that fire sprinklers have extinguished a fire at Rosewood Courte. In August 2011, a sprinkler extinguished a fire in a commercial hot water tank near the facility kitchen.