Press Releases

Back
  • One dead in Edmonds apartment fire
    01.22.13

    Fire investigators believe a fatal apartment fire in Edmonds on Jan. 21 was started when a hot light bulb from a reading lamp came in contact with the victim’s bedding.

    “This was the type of lamp you can clip to a shelf or headboard. It appears the lamp came loose and landed on the victim’s bed in the living room,” said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Snohomish County Fire District 1, which provides fire and emergency medical service to the City of Edmonds.

    Fire officials are waiting for the medical examiner to confirm the identity of the adult fire victim.

    Neighbors reported the fire around 6:10 p.m. on Monday when they saw smoke coming a second-floor apartment in a six-unit building of the Edmonds Gateway apartments in the 8600 block of 240th St. SW. "When firefighters arrived an alarm was sounding and there was smoke coming from a gable vent," Hynes said.

    Firefighters entered the smoke-filled apartment and quickly extinguished a small fire in the living room, where they located the fire victim. A cat also died in the fire.

    Other residents of the building safely evacuated. No injuries were reported.

    The fire was contained to the one apartment unit. Damage is estimated at $50,000. "There is heavy smoke and heat damage throughout the unit," Hynes said.

    Residents of other units in the same building were able to return to their apartments around 11:30 p.m. when the investigation was concluded.


    ###

Back

Media Contact

Leslie Hynes
Public Information Officer
Office: (425) 551-1243

After-hours media contact number for emergency incidents in the Fire District 1 service area (unincorporated south Snohomish County, Brier, Edmonds and Mountlake Terrace):
(425) 754-7273

Annual Reports