Press Releases

  • Small fire causes smoke damage to fitness room at Mill Creek YMCA
    03.27.15

    Firefighters quickly extinguished a small fire in a maintenance room at the Mill Creek YMCA this morning.

     

    No one was injured. Dispatchers were notified of an automatic fire alarm sounding at the YMCA in the 13700 block of Puget Park Drive at 6:23 a.m. Moments later, someone at the YMCA called 911 to report members were smelling smoke in a cardio-fitness room located in a building just south of the main YMCA building.

     

    “About half a dozen people were working out in the cardio-fitness room and safely evacuated,” said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Snohomish County Fire District 1. “Our Silver Firs Fire Station is right across the street. Firefighters were able to quickly locate and extinguish a small fire in a maintenance room adjacent to the cardio-fitness room.”

     

    An investigator from the Snohomish County Fire Marshal’s Office determined the fire was started by a battery charger for a power drill. Fire damage was contained to the maintenance room and is estimated at $5,000. The cardio-fitness room sustained smoke damage. YMCA employees are still assessing the extent of smoke damage to the fitness equipment.

  • Candle sparks bedroom fire in Edmonds
    02.23.15

    A lit candle placed too close to combustible materials sparked a bedroom fire that caused more than $50,000 damage at an Edmonds home last night, according to fire investigators.

    A neighbor reported the fire around 9:20 p.m. at a single-story house with a daylight basement in the 17400 block of 69th Pl. W. Five people – a couple, their two children and a teenage renter – safely exited the house. No one was injured. Two dogs and two cats escaped the fire, but one cat died.

    “When they arrived, firefighters could see smoke and flames inside a basement bedroom,” said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Snohomish County Fire District 1, which  provides fire service in the City of Edmonds.

    Fire District 1 and Lynnwood Fire Department responded and had the fire under control in about 10 minutes.  “The homeowner helped limit damage by closing the bedroom door after he saw flames. That held the fire inside and firefighters were able to make a quick attack to keep the flames contained to the one room,” Hynes said.

    About one third of home candle fires start in the bedroom and more than half of all candle fires start when things that burn are too close to the candle, according to the National Fire Protection Association.

    Fire District 1 offers these tips for candle use:

    • Keep candles well away (at least 12 inches) from anything that can burn.
    • Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom or other areas where people may fall asleep.
    • Use candle holders that are sturdy and won’t tip over easily.
    • Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
    • Don’t burn a candle all the way down – put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container.
    • Consider using flameless candles (powered by batteries). They look and smell like real candles.

    ###

  • Retirement ceremony to honor Capt. DeLisle for 40 years of service
    02.06.15

    Capt. Tom DeLisle will be honored for 40 years of service to the citizens of Snohomish County Fire District 1 at a retirement ceremony Wednesday, Feb. 11, at Martha Lake Fire Station 21, 16819 13th Ave. W, Lynnwood.

    The ceremony will begin at 9 a.m. Parking will be available in the north and east lots of the neighboring Christ the Rock Church.
     
    DeLisle, a Lynnwood resident, is a native of south Snohomish County. He met his wife, Melinda, when they were both students Edmonds High School. After DeLisle graduated in 1969, he worked a variety of jobs before he settled into his fire service career in 1974.

    “I saw a newspaper ad for volunteer firefighters. I didn’t know much about it, but thought it sounded interesting,” DeLisle said. “I immediately fell in love with it.”

    After serving six months as a volunteer for Fire District 1, DeLisle was hired as a full-time. His first assignment as a firefighter was at the Esperance Fire Station in the Edmonds area. DeLisle is retiring as a captain assigned to Silver Firs Fire Station 13, but during his career he has worked at 11 of the 12 stations in Fire District 1’s service area, which includes unincorporated south Snohomish County, Brier, Edmonds and Mountlake Terrace. “I’ve worked in them all except Station 17 (in downtown Edmonds),” DeLisle said.
    Much has changed over the 40 years DeLisle has been with Fire District 1. “When I started, I rode outside hanging on the tailboard of the engine and now we have fully enclosed cabs with seat belt regulations,” he said.

    Emergency medical service has also evolved from the early days of “scoop-and-run aid cars to now having a paramedic on every rig” in the district to provide the most advanced lifesaving care, DeLisle said. “It’s huge progress.”

    Over the years, DeLisle served on the advisory committee for the Edmonds School District Fire Science program and the Fire District 1 Safety Committee and worked on training projects. “But most of my time was spent responding to calls,” he said.

    DeLisle said his plans for retirement include working on projects around the house and spending time with family. All his children and grandchildren live in the area.

Media Contact

Leslie Hynes
Public Information Officer
Office: (425) 551-1243

After-hours media contact number for emergency incidents in the Fire District 1 service area (unincorporated south Snohomish County, Brier, Edmonds and Mountlake Terrace):
(425) 754-7273

Annual Reports