What's New

Board Meetings LIVE online: You can now watch the Fire District 1 Board of Commissioners regular meeting live online at 7 p.m. on the first and third Tuesday of each month.
Facility Use Application:  Apply online or download form to request use of Fire District 1 meeting rooms.
National EMS Award: Capt. Maxwell wins top-10 innovator award for EMS checklist program. VIEW VIDEO: Capt. Shaughn Maxwell talks about how Fire District 1 is using innovative EMS checklists to improve patient care.

Headlines

  • Fire Chief Widdis agrees to contract extension
    03.17.14

    Fire Chief Ed Widdis has agreed to a contract extension that will keep him on the job through the end of 2016. Snohomish County Fire District 1 offered and approved this contract extension.

    “The Board is very pleased and feels fortunate that Chief Widdis has agreed to accept our offer,” said David Chan, chair of the district’s five-person elected Board of Commissioners. “Chief Widdis has led Fire District 1 through some tough economic times and now we need his strong leadership as we move into recovery. At the beginning of the year I said my personal goals for Fire District 1 in 2014 are stability, humanity and unity. Chief Widdis is the one who can do it.”

    Widdis has been fire chief since 2003. During his tenure, the district has consolidated with the Mountlake Terrace and Edmonds fire departments and has become one of the largest districts in the state, serving nearly 200,000 residents in unincorporated south Snohomish County, Brier, Edmonds and Mountlake Terrace,

    Chan said the district wants to continue to work well with neighboring agencies. “Chief Widdis has been in the fire service for 30 years and is well respected. He will focus on working with all our neighbors and sharing resources to improve service and efficiency,” he said.

    Under Widdis’ leadership, Fire District 1’s emergency medical services program has been the recipient of two national awards and the district’s cardiac-arrest save rate has been well above the national average.

    “I’m proud of our firefighters and the excellent service they provide to our citizens. I’m honored to have this opportunity to continue to serve as fire chief with these fine men and women,” Widdis said. “There’s still work to be done on a number of issues facing the fire district. I look forward to working on these with our employees, our Board of Commissioners, our partners and our citizens.”


    ###

  • Four escape fire at Mike's Deli in Edmonds
    03.13.14

    Four adults safely escaped an early-morning fire that caused heavy damage to a deli-mart in Edmonds on March 13.

    The fire was reported at about 3:50 a.m. at Mike’s Deli-Mart in the 23200 block of Edmonds Way. “Fire dispatchers received multiple calls from neighbors and people driving by reporting flames coming from the building,” said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Snohomish County Fire District 1, which provides service to the City of Edmonds.

    The building also houses a barbershop with an apartment above it. “The four adults were asleep in the apartment when a stranger pounded on the door and told them to get out because the building was on fire,” Hynes said. “The residents escaped with three small dogs.”

    The back of the building was engulfed in flames when the first firefighters arrived from the nearby Esperance Fire Station 20. “They could smell the smoke as they left the station and there were 30-foot flames when they arrived,” Hynes said.

    The fire went to a second alarm. About 36 firefighters from Fire District 1, Lynnwood and Shoreline were on the scene at the peak of the fire. No one was injured.

    It took about 45 minutes to bring the fire under control. The building’s construction and a cell phone tower with high-voltage equipment posed challenges for the firefighters, Hynes said.
    “Fire got into the parapet and there was some concern it might collapse. Firefighters working on the roof cut holes in the side of the parapet to get at the flames,” Hynes said.

    The Snohomish County Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating the fire. Investigators said it may be days before they have a cause. They said the building may be a total loss, mostly due to extensive damage in the attic and parapet.

    A storage area at the back of the deli was also heavily damaged and there is smoke and water damage throughout the store. The barbershop and apartment have minor smoke damage. The apartment residents displaced by the fire are receiving assistance from their insurance company.

    ###

  • Two minor injuries in house fire near Silver Firs
    02.25.14

    A woman and her young daughter were evaluated for smoke inhalation at an emergency room after escaping through a window when fire broke out in their rental home early on the morning of Feb. 25.

    Fire dispatchers received multiple calls around 12:30 a.m. reporting smoke coming from the split-level house in the 5600 block of 134th Pl. SE in unincorporated Snohomish County near Silver Firs.

    Another renter, a man, and his girlfriend, who was visiting at the time of the fire, safely exited the house after a smoke alarm sounded. “He told firefighters the woman and her daughter were already at the window and he helped them get out,” said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Snohomish County Fire District 1.

    The woman and her daughter were transported by firefighters to Swedish/Mill Creek Emergency Room as a precaution, Hynes said.

    Another woman also lived at the house, but was at work at the time of the fire.

    Firefighters from Snohomish County Fire Districts 1 and 7 responded and had the fire under control within 15 minutes. “They kept the fire contained to the living room area, but there was heavy smoke and heat damage throughout the upper level of the home,” said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Fire District 1.

    The Snohomish County Fire Marshal’s Office determined the fire was most likely started in an overheated electrical outlet that was being used to power a space heater in the living room. The investigator estimated damages will total more than $125,000.

    The fire left the house uninhabitable. The renters did not have insurance and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

    “A fire at this time of the morning could very easily have resulted in a loss of life without smoke alarms to wake the residents,” Hynes said.

    Fire District 1 offers these tips to keep smoke alarms in working order:

    • Test alarms at least monthly by pushing the test button.
    • Replace batteries in smoke alarms twice a year. An easy way to remember is to change the batteries when you change your clocks to or from Daylight Savings Time.  If an alarm “chirps,” warning the battery is low, replace the battery right away.
    • Smoke alarms that are more than 10 years old should be replaced.  Aging smoke alarms are unreliable and often are the source of nuisance alarms.
    • Make sure you have smoke alarms where you need them. Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, in each bedroom and hallway.

    ###

QuickLinks to Popular Pages